Under the Paris Sky: My Trip to France - part 4 Angers (CORRECTED)

•  
  • 418
  • 11
  • 4
Continued from Part 3
As well as visiting Paris, I visited two towns in the Loire Valley. It’s also worthwhile to write about my visit to other cities in France.

Angers, about a one-and-a-half hour TGV ride from Paris, is a town that has a great castle and the splendid Apocalypse Tapestry.

On my previous visit to France, I joined a bus tour to visit the Loire Valley Castles. It was efficient, and I was able to see many beautiful and impressive castles. On the other hand, however, I didn’t get the chance to properly bask in the atmosphere at each site. I only had a faint recollection of each castle. This time, I was on my own, so I was able to spend as much time as I wanted at the castle.

From outside, the Angers Castle looks stern and impressive, but once inside, it surprises your with lovely gardens. It was a windy day, and there was not a trace of cloud in the sky. There were few visitors. I visited every section of the castle and walked every path.

The town also had a beautiful art museum. From a small entrance facing the street, you walk straight through lots of trees, with grass on both sides, toward a distinguished beige-color structure. Here also, visitors were sparse. The time I had there was serene and even feels surreal now.

Another memorable moment on that day was an elderly madame, who tried to give me directions in French. I couldn’t find the museum so I had to ask someone. The town was quiet and she was the only person walking on the same street I was on. I couldn’t understand a single word of what she said, yet I did understand she was trying to be helpful to a tourist from Asia. After saying “Au revoir” to each other, magically, I was able to find the museum right away.

The next day, after a tasty breakfast of fresh croissant, coffee and yogurt, I checked out of the hotel and took a train to a town called Saumur.

Continued in Part 5:http://lang-8.com/997612/journals/208284620805991413097352570372164094880
(This journal has been corrected and revised.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original before correction:
Continued from Part 3
Other than Paris, I visited two towns in the Loire Valley. Seeing different cites in France is worthy to note.

Angers, about one-and-a-half hour TGV ride from Paris, is a town that has a great-looking castle and the splendid Apocalypse Tapestry.

In my previous visit to France, I joined a bus tour to visit the Loire Valley Castles. It was efficient and I was able to see many beautiful and impressive castles. On the other hand, however, I didn’t get the chance to absorb myself in the atmosphere at each site. I only had a faint recollection of each castle. But this time, I was on my own, being able to spend as much time as I wanted at the castle.

From outside, the Angers Castle looked stern and impressive, but once inside, you will be surprised to see lovely gardens. There were few visitors. It was a windy day and there were no trace of clouds in the sky. I visited every section of the castle and walked every path.

The town also had a beautiful art museum. From a small entrance facing on the street, you walk straight through lots of trees and the grass on both sides toward the distinguished beige-color structure. Here also, visitors were sparse. The time I had there was serene and even feels surreal now.

Another memorable moment on that day was an elderly madam, who tried to give me directions in French. I couldn’t find the museum so I had to ask someone. The town was quiet and she was the only person walking on the same street. I couldn’t understand a single words of what she said, yet I did understand she was trying to be helpful to a tourist from Asia. After saying “Au revoir,” with each other, magically, I was able to find the museum right away.

On the next day, after tasty breakfast with fresh croissant, coffee and yogurt, I checked out the hotel and took a train to go to a town called Saumur.

Continued in Part 5
パート3から続き

パリ以外にもロワール地方の2つの街を訪ねた。これらの街についても書きたい。

アンジェはパリからTGVで1時間半ほどの街だ。素晴らしい景観の城と黙示録を描いた見事なタペストリーで有名である。

前回フランスを訪れた時は、ロワール城を巡るバスツアーに参加した。美しく印象的な多くの城を効率よく回ることができた。しかし、それぞれの場所の雰囲気に十分浸ることができなかった。訪れた複数の城については、ぼんやりとしか覚えていない。しかし今回は一人だけの旅だ。城では好きなだけ時間を過ごすことができた。

アンジェ城はいかめしくて印象的な外見をしている。しかし、ひとたび城の中に入ると、何とも可愛いらしい庭園があることに驚くだろう。観光客はほとんどいなかった。風が強く、空には雲一つない日だった。私は城のすべてのパートを見て回り、すべての小路を歩いた。

この街には美しい美術館もあった。道に面した小さな入口から敷地に入り、両側の木々や芝生を見ながらまっすぐに歩いていくと、突き当りにベージュ色の独特の形をした美術館があった。ここでも訪問者はまばらだった。そこで過ごした時間は穏やかで、今思い出すと非現実的な感じがする。

その日のもう一つの思い出は、ある年配のマダムである。私にフランス語で道を教えようとしてくれた。美術館を見つけることができなかったので、誰かに道を訊かなくてはならなかった。人通りが少なく、道を歩いていたのはそのマダムだけだった。マダムの喋るフランス語は一言もわからなかったが、アジアから来た観光客を助けようとしてくれていることは十分わかった。

翌日、焼き立てのクロワッサン、コーヒー、ヨーグルトの美味しい朝食を食べた後、私はホテルをチェックアウトし列車に乗り、ソミュールという街へ向かった。

パート5に続く:http://lang-8.com/997612/journals/208284620805991413097352570372164094880