I started organising a club activity this month.

•  
  • 168
  • 9
  • 3
Oct 28, 2018 00:22 schoolactivities
I started organising a club activity this month. I named that club "甘党クラブ" which means "A club for those who have a sweet tooth" in English. I'm working at a correspondence school and there are many other campuses which are competing to show better performance than the other campuses. The S campus I am working at is still kind of new and small. I believe that suggesting attractive activities is also one of my duties there.
At the beginning of this month, I demonstrated at an open house how to bake chocolate scones. During the event, the participants asked me when the next event will be held and what they can expect to eat. Then, I scheduled, "A dark pizza meeting" for the 30th of November and "An easy recipe for those who have a sweet tooth part 2" for the 13th of December, the latter one as an club activity and also an open house.
Last Friday, my boss and I, we are only two staff members at the S campus, attended a casual party with some close teachers including two deputy principals. A teacher brought up the topic of our cooking club. I just sent mails to inform those events to the whole school.
One of the deputy principals was curious for my suggestions. He asked me, "Why are you going to teach how to bake pizzas? I don't believe it is easy. I once baked pizzas on Christmas to please my family, but it costed unbelievably."
His words were unbelievably for me. I asked him back, "What ingredients did you use? Did you buy the frozen pizza plates at a supermarket and put some fancy stuff on them? I believe that baking pizzas is very cheap following some recipes I know."
He answered, "I made its dough from other bread dough. Actually my father runs a bakery."
I didn't want to question the authority of his father or of himself, so I just said, "I just know some easy recipes in which you can make pizzas or cakes at an efficiently low cost. If it's possible, please come join our activity. I'll be glad to show you how to."
I think that he is dropping into the same trap in which many people are captured: "If you want to do/make X, you MUST have Y, so pay for that!"
You don't have to pay, because Y, certainly in many cases, can be omitted. I've heard many variants of this phrase for X and Y, rice and a rice cooker, anko in Germany and real anko paste imported from Japan, miso soup in Scotland and the raw materials of miso that must be brought from a Japanese tourist in return for a home stay, a yukata and a proper kimono detergent, etc.. My examples are mostly from the requests to Japanese culture, maybe that's because I am a Japanese person.
I know two recipes for pizzas, one without eggs and the other without yeast. If you must buy some specific ingredients which are expensive or hard to get, you may give up making that food you want to eat and just buy them at a supermarket or eat in a restaurant. I want to give my students a tip: You can find everything in your kitchen.
So, I wouldn't suggest a recipe that requires expensive stuff.
When I was little, I didn't know how to cook. I didn't have money, but if I had had some, I wouldn't have gone to a supermarket, because I lived in a very rural area. There were no shops around there. I don't say I was always hungry, but I really wanted to learn how to cook. My family was working so hard that they didn't have enough time to spend with us. One of my aunts gave me a cooking book, but it was disappointing that in that book there were too many ingredients which I couldn't buy. I wondered why the authors couldn't imagine of the readers who couldn't buy a big block of butter or eggs only to consume for children's treat. Many family couldn't afford that, I thought. This was my story, but I believe there are still many children who have the similar stories like that. If you ever know how to cook with what you can find in your house, you wouldn't starve.
今月、「甘党クラブ」というクラブを立ち上げました。私は通信制高校で働いています。
今月初め、私は、オープンキャンパスで、チョコレートスコーンの作り方を教えました。参加者は、次回はいつか、今度は何が食べられるか聞いてきました。
11月30日、「闇ピザ会」をやります。
12月13日、「甘党のためのかんたんレシピ part 2」を予定しています。
オープンキャンパスも同時開催します。
この間、ほかのキャンパスで働いている同僚や教頭先生たちと食事をする機会がありました。同僚が、私達のキャンパスで始めた「甘党クラブ」の活動を話題にしました。ちょうど、私は全校に一斉送信で、クラブ結成のお知らせを送ったばかりでした。
教頭先生は、私のチョイスに興味津々でした。
「どうして、ピザにしたんですか。難しいんじゃないですか。僕は、前に、クリスマスに家族を喜ばせようと思ってピザを作ったんですけど、恐ろしいほど高くつきました」
私はびっくりしました。
「どんな材料を使われたのか、お聞きしてもいいですか。スーパーで冷凍のピザを買って、何か高いトッピングを載せられたんですか。私が知っているレシピだったら、すごく安いです」
「生地はね、ほかのパン生地から取ったんです。実は、うちの実家はパン屋でしてね」
教頭先生のおうちがプロのパン屋さんなら、何も言わないほうが賢明だと判断しました。
「ピザやケーキを安く作れる、簡単なレシピがあります。もしよろしかったら、闇ピザ会にお越しください。作り方をお教えしますよ」
多くの人がよく陥る罠です。
「もし、Xをしたかったら/作りたかったら、Yがなければなりません。さあ、さっさとお金を払いましょう!」
お金を払う必要はありません。多くの場合、Yは省略できます。いろんな例を見聞きしました。
ご飯が食べたかったら、炊飯器が必要です。
ドイツであんこが食べたかったら、日本から直輸入された本物のあんこを買わないといけません。
スコットランドの人が味噌汁を作りたいために、日本人観光客を泊めてあげる見返りとして、味噌の原材料を持ってくるように要求します。
浴衣を着るなら、着物用の洗剤を買わないと駄目です。
これらの例はちょっと日本文化に偏っていますが、私が日本人だからでしょう、多分。
私が知っているピザのレシピですが、1つは卵を使いません。もう1つはイーストを使いません。もし、高い材料や、手に入りにくい材料が必要なレシピだったら、作るのを諦めて、スーパーで買うか、レストランで食べるかしますね。私は、生徒にこれを教えたいんです。
「台所にあるもので作りなさい」
だから、高い材料を買わないといけないレシピは教えません。
子供の頃、私は料理ができませんでした。お金もありませんでした。でも、もしお金があったとしても、スーパーには行けませんでした。私が住んでいたのは本当に田舎で、近くに店がありませんでした。いつもおなかがすいていた、ということを言いたいんじゃないんです。ただ、私は本当に料理が習いたかったです。家族は商売で忙しかったから、子供と過ごす時間なんてありませんでした。おばが、私にケーキ作りの本をくれました。でも、残念なことに、その本に書いてある材料は、買えないものが多かったです。不思議でした。どうして、料理専門家は、バターや卵を買えない読者のことが想像できないのでしょう。バターや卵を、子供のおやつのためだけに使い切ってもいいなんておうちは、そんなにある筈がないですよね。これは、私の子供の頃の話ですが、今でもそういう子供はたくさんいると思います。もし、家にあるもので料理する方法を知っていたら、子供は飢えなくてすむのです。