An Almost Missed Event!

•  
  • 59
  • 1
  • 1
Updated according to corrections.

A couple of days ago, I took my son to his school. He normally goes to school by bus. However, I had to be in the city center that day, thus I could give him a ride to his school in the morning. On the way to his school, we saw a crescent moon in front of us. The moon was only 10% full when we saw it. However, the dark side of the moon was vaguely visible. You could almost see the pattern on the dark side. The moon was very low and we were driving directly towards it. My son asked why we could see the dark part of the moon and I explained to him that maybe the earth was reflecting light to the moon. As we were driving, the moon seemed to get bigger and bigger. I suddenly realized that this must be a lunar eclipse since the moon had shined very bright the previous night when I was closing the curtain in my bedroom. When we got to my son's school, the moon was already more than 80% full and it was so bright that you couldn't see the dark part at all. Actually, I had seen the news that a lunar eclipse would happen, but I didn't pay any attention to the date, and neither had I expected that it would be visible in Finland. And it was a very rare eclipse called a Blood Moon. Luckily, I didn't miss it!