Compete or Co-operate

•  
  • 242
  • 2
  • 1
Nov 6, 2017 17:53 ielts
IELTS Writing Task 2
Some people think that a sense of competition in children should be encouraged. Others believe that teaching children to co-operate rather than compete is more important. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.

Regarding child education, there has been an often-discussed controversy among experts, teachers and parents, over which virtues, namely, either a sense of competition or cooperation is more valuable. In my view, children who are usually expected to work in the contemporary capitalism should gain competitiveness at school.

As for the collaboration skill, it seems to be quite beneficial to teach schoolchildren the significance of working together with their peers, since this sort of social skills play a vital role in a group work. In addition, the acquisition of this ability would facilitate their communication each other in classes, thereby resulting in a more comfortable classroom where there is likely to be less bully cases. However, one of the main drawbacks of accentuating the cooperation appear to be that exceptionally gifted students, e.g., in mathematics or music would not be paid sufficient attention in ordinary classes. This is because too much requirement of collaboration might treat each various pupil excessively equally, thus making him or her substantially uniform and non-unique.

In contrast, such a talented prodigy is in need of even higher level curriculum, which focuses more on competitiveness in order to fully develop his or her potential talent. Moreover, the encouragement of competitiveness between rivals at school probably increase students’ motivation to learn more diligent. For instance, in Japan, it has been prevailing to let high school students know the rankings of their academic achievements in examinations, which motivates them to be a top student at their school. Finally, the ability of competiveness guarantee successful career paths because it is an essential aspect of prospective businessperson currently working in the capitalistic society.

In conclusion, despite some benefits of the skill of cooperation, children should be taught the importance of competition with far more advantages not to fail in modern highly competitive labor culture.