BACKGROUND

•  
  • 352
  • 2
  • 1
BACKGROUND
Vendler`s analysis of verbs semantic feature is the starting point of a new perspective over tense/aspect relation modalities. The linguistics structure of the tense has been discovered to be inherently related to its lexical aspect. He analyzed the distribution of tense and aspect and showed how they are correlated. For instance past tense are mostly used with achievement and accomplishment verbs as stative verb don`t usually show any progressive marking grammatical aspect that is, instead, often used with activity verbs. He also showed the lexical aspect as variable structure whose values is always inferred by the context. The verb “to run” for instance can be considered as an activity verb in the sentence “He is running in the park” and an accomplishment if it is present the direct object like in “he run a mile”.
On the basis of Vendler theoretical framework, Andersen (1991) and Shirai Andersen (1994) developed Aspect Hypothesis, whose claims are the follows: 1) Learners first use (perfective) past marking on achievements and accomplishments, eventually extending use to activities and statives.
2) In languages that encode the perfective/imperfective distinction, imperfective past appears later than perfective past, and imperfective past marking begins with statives, extending next to activities, then to accomplishments, and finally to achievements.
3) In languages that have progressive aspect, progressive marking begins with activities, then extends to accomplishments and achievements.
4) Progressive markings are not incorrectly overextended to statives.
Since them, numerous studies have been conducted in the attempted to prove this theory. However, if the predominance of tense-lexical association has been successfully proved by different studies Andersen (1991) Shirai Andersen (1995, 2007) in a L1 context, the extension of this hypothesis to a L2 context poses many doubts and questions.