STUDYING QUESTIONS 2

•  
  • 75
  • 1
  • 1
STUDYING QUESTIONS 2

The phantasmal material in 'Circe' does not seem to be to a psychological projection of the 'I' but of the subject, literally‘brought under’ . The projections are thus external and are not directly dependent by any of the characters with whom they interact.
The question on what is phantasmal materials and what not, remains open as many of these projections enter the conscience of the characters through the language they use. (Is the unconscious structured like a language or vice versa?) Surely, In Ulysses, Joyce shows a dynamic where we learn from the unconscious how to respond to specific situation of the conscious life. In 'Circe', Bloom, after undergoing a number of erotic submissions to his master Bella/o Cohen, learned how to deal with her.
The unconscious projected through imagination at the center of reality can be acted upon (as says Stephen in chapter 9). I
In the case of Bloom,one of the phantasmal material that he has to deal with is the 'sins of the past' which echoes 'The Sweets of the Sin', the book that he buys for his wife. Words of the conscious and of the unconscious compenetrate each other as reality and imagination are not parts of two separate world but belong to the fictional world of narration.
Thanks to this process of the confrontation with the past self, Bloom can escape his condition of subjection, face the brothel's bawd and negotiate a fair resolution for the accident caused by Stephen.