DESCRIPTION OF THE ISLAND OF JAMAICA

•  
  • 89
  • 0
  • 2
DESCRIPTION OF THE ISLAND OF JAMAICA

From Gilbert L. de Landsheere, “Education and formation of teaching personnel in a developing country” International Review of Education VIII (1962), 42-43.
The principle resources of the island are the following: bauxite, sugar cane, tourism, banana plants, rum and coffee. The country is a making a great effort to industralize; the implantation of new industrial enterprises and the built of hotels have been encouraged by an extemption for all the taxes pending for the last seven years.
Among the others, two are the main impressions which beset the visitors: the willingness of the social active communities of the nation to contribuite to the greatness of a country in which the memory of the slavery is still alive, and the competence and maturity of the leaders who moreover continue to surround themselves with anglo-saxon specialists every time they feel the need.
The Anglican religion is the most widespread: one can find Baptists, Presbitarians, Roman Catholics, and Jews.
The University plays an essential role in the developing of the new country. Regarding education, notably, one cannot but admire the spirit of friendly collaboration which reigns among the Government Services, the former educational institutes and the new department of pedagogy of the University.