Part 2 of Bilingualism and Writing: the Case of Beckett and Cioran ...

•  
  • 152
  • 3
  • 1
  • Portuguese(Brazil) 
Part 2 of Bilingualism and Writing: the Case of Beckett and Cioran (from French)

In one of the major works written about the writer "Beckett and the psychoanalyst" Didier Anzieu exposed a very convincing thesis to explain the peculiar case of the writer of "The Unnameable": the work of Beckett is a self-analysis carried out after his failure with Bion (which name, clearly, does not sound very different from certain characters such as Bem, Bim, variation of Pim) each of the books stays for a step, towards, not the control of the trauma constituted by the failure of the analysis but, his coming up with characters that can be represented.
According to the psychoanalyst, this analysis ended in 1959-1960, with the composition of "How is it" or "Beckett goes to the extreme limits of the writing and of the understanding of himself".
For the psychoanalyst, "How is it" represents a completion in the work of Beckett and (also?) in this book ,there is the summery of the "double history of a psychoanalysis and of a creation".
If Beckett could then return to English, adding it, marrying (joining) the two languages in his work to come, is because "the old break with the mother and the maternal language born fruit". Only the death of May, his mother, allows him to realize this old final fracture; thing which his analyst Bion, without doubts, too brutally recommended (to him) a few years before.
Didier Anzieu believes that the old conflicts lost their intensity with the completion of "How is it" as the title truly revealing, and that the return to the maternal language has been made possible by the effort that the work has allowed to accomplish.
The second explanation is all the more interesting as it is of order purely literary.
Among the books dedicated to Beckett, Bruno Clement proposed, at the same time, a remarkable perspective on Beckett criticism and a new interpretation. He showed that bilingualism, which can hardly be explained by psychology or biography, poses a poetic problem, that is an integral part of the work and that constitutes its foundation. The use of French is understood as the radical mean that Beckett found to take the distance from English. In order to create his own language, it was necessary for him to break with the good English to which a successful education have formed it.