LITERATURE REVIEW 2

•  
  • 211
  • 0
  • 1
LITERATURE REVIEW 2

At this point of our review we have already established as a priority the need to build up a scientific tool for analyzing both skills and abilities involved in playing videogames. It is still to analyze the structure of these videogames in order to decide if they can be divide by one or more groups.

As seen in the review of the first article, some video or music games are useful only to support imitation and repetition of a sentence pattern. This can`t be considered really central in the Communicative Approach. On the other side the second article provides us an interesting perspective on the role that motivation has in using these devices. Plus, we have encouraging results in support of this thesis.

The next article (Kuwada Reed 2010) will be very important in our study because it puts on focus two things that we consider extremely relevant: interactivity, as Stever said: “the extent to which users can participate in modifying the form and content of a mediated environment in the real time” and the exchange information activity that is one of the most important and used task in Communicative Approach.

The information exchange activities are very useful because they consist in tasks that consider language not as the end or purpose of the action but as a means to reach our goal and objectives.
I quote Lee and VanPatten 2010 to support my point of view: “Getting and exchanging information are the means to some other end or purpose. Learners will not only get and exchange information, they will do something with it.”

We can see now the importance of integrating videogames in a learning a second language, since they can be a precious information exchange task.
The article`s purpose is to determine if the interactivity involved in videogames can be used as a learning tool or if it remains unuseful and unproductive. Will students involved in playing videogame interact each others properly by means of the information-exchange tasks of the games?
The study base itself on the notion of cognitive load and extraneous cognitive load. We have an extraneous cognitive load when the information that we are receiving causes a split in our attention that makes impossible to isolate every single message and results in a difficulty or impossibility to achieve understanding. This is what can happen playing videogames.

I quote the authors:” the player receives several input that can disrupt the player`s involvement with the game space” So as we know that controlling the input is the main job of every teacher of a second language we have to be really careful about the way videogames give input. Otherwise we won`t use this resource productively.
Every video and music games contain a lot of linguistic input and our job will be to determine whether interactivity support the information-exchange tasks and contribute students learning or not.

Another important point the this article puts on focus is about the target language. How is it necessary to complete the tasks involved in the game? This is a simple thing to not forget. In our construction of a tool that asses videogames it will be really important to evaluate the prominence of the target language and if it is determinative or not in completing levels`game.