Joyce, again!

•  
  • 66
  • 1
  • 1
Joyce, again!

1. In the Odyssey, Homer depicts a bucolic scene: a beautiful and young princess playing a ball game with her maids. The pleasant scene will become later one of the most important for the genere of Pastoral. The Homeric version does not involve shepherds who accord their life to the season in harmony with the nature but revolves around the same principles of sentimentalism and simplicity. The adolescent girl who falls in love for the experienced and mysterious man is one of the topos of the genre and Joyce respects it quite precisely.
However, body and soul (the physical and the spiritual) are irremediably split in modern society. Gerty represents the physical part of the desire while the Holy Virgin is a far ideal whose echoes resound in the trite words and in the chants of the Mass.
if the Virgin is everything in the sound of words of ancient Latin, Gerty, instead, echoes her image in every angle of his body, from the clothes to the hair.
Her limp leg breaks the idyllic scene as well as Bloom's erection. In some way, Joyce plays here with the idea of phallus as 'maque' that Lacan will develop later.
He also presents a situation very archetypal; Gerty`s thoughts resemble Madame Bovary`s and her 'sentimental education'.