REVIEW

•  
  • 119
  • 1
  • 1
REVIEW

The article by Wander Lowie, Marjolijn Verspoor and Bregtje Seton (2010) presents a detailed bibliographical review; the definition of conceptual representation is clearly defined and contextualized. It refers to an mental process involving physical, emotional, cognitive, pragmatic, and linguistic elements of our being.
It is also said that different cultural groups can have different conceptual representations. However, if the meaning of this assertion was to describe languages as social and cultural products, is not clear in which way such representation is cognitively peculiar to a target language.
Culture could determine similar words association within a same target language as well as between two or more language. In other words, different conceptualizations can occur withing different groups of speaker of the same language. For example, English politics leaders and social workers can have a different conceptualization of'the word 'unemployment' even speaking the same variety of English.
Therefore, the article does not show the cognitive difference in conceptualization among languages but among different cultural groups.
Another possible flaws can derive by the material employed in the experiment, which is a translation task. First, they reduced the set of possibilities to two to eliminate individual variance, which seems a way to predetermine the results of the experiment.