STUDYING QUESTIONS

•  
  • 79
  • 0
  • 1
STUDYING QUESTIONS

There is not a real difference between the first chapters and those ones that progress from 'Aeolus'. At the first glance, we could think that the first three chapters are more 'realistic'; as they appear to be as less mediated. But, by proceeding in the reading, we`ll find out that Joyce`s styles always show reality from a different perspective and that each point of view employed has in itself some elements of the reality. The progression from primary experience and linguistic formation is completely illusory. In literature, we always face linguistic formation and primary formation jointed together. There can never be the prevalence of one term over another; it is the way they are elaborated that can be different.
The common way of writing, or even of thinking, that a contemporary writer-reader may assume reveals only his lack of elaboration of his ideas.
Using Marxism terminology, we could say that believing that the our primary experience is different from our linguistic formation is a 'superstructure'.
The only way to elaborate a personal view is to not elaborate a personal view.
This is a paradox, but it is the only way though which literature lives.
In the 'Oxen of the Sun' Joyce assumes different points of view showing how words influence thoughts. In this way, he debunks our pretense of having a personal thoughts on things. As a students says in class, I guess quoting Jung "People have no ideas; ideas have people".
Can such a circular hermeneutic view, in which we demystify while further mystifying, be broken, even for moment?
In 'Circe', Joyce uses these sort of hallucinations not with the purpose of making blurry the distinction between reality and imagination. At the contrary, he is telling us the imagination is real, and that reality is imaginary. In a way, what happens in our mind is as real as what happens outside of it.