DUBLINERS 2

•  
  • 72
  • 1
  • 1
  • Portuguese(Brazil) 
DUBLINERS 2

Gabriel is a good man, filled with good intentions and noble purposes. He believes in morality and traditions, and has a personal opinion on everything. He is a brilliant academic, quite rational, almost an illuminist. He is a good rhetor and a respectful nephew, a devoted husband and beloved father. He symbolizes the reassuring qualities of the good. However, his personality shows different tracts once his certainties are shaken, as shown by the author through the whole story. At the beginning of it, he met Lily, a young neighbor who works for his aunts; his attitude towards her is the representation of a man patronizing a young lady. He gives for granted that everything goes well in her life, and feels extremely uncomfortable realizing reality is different from his expectations. He seems willing to play the role of the householder who has always a good word for everybody; but, unfortunately his expectations leads him to disappointment. His attempt of controlling the event of the nights miserably fails, he cannot avoid neither some bad behaviors from the guests of the party nor succeed in making her wife happy.
Some memories emerge from the past imposing its presence on the reality. Unexpectedly, it is the dead, the memory of a dead person, to impose its presence over the living people. It is with a sort of bitter sarcasm that Joyce shows the fall of his protagonist. He describes every miserable discoveries of him, by underling how every little painful details has its importance in the inner life of a human being. As far as Gabriel tries to control the reality around him, the narrator keeps showing his weakness. When he finally realizes and accepts reality Joyce shows compassion towards him, depicting him simply as a man in love with his wife.