THE INTRODUCTION OF THE STUDY

•  
  • 492
  • 1
  • 2
THE INTRODUCTION OF THE STUDY
As already mentioned, my research will concern about the skills that are involved and developed in these kinds of video and music games and how it will be possible to categorize them in order to be used as a meaningful resources in teaching a second language.

If we take a brief glance to the literature review about this topic we become aware very soon that there are several manners to treat this subject but that what they have in common is a lack of scientific approach in considering the matter.
Several authors, like “Marsh and Tanio 2009” or “Wattana Reinders 2014” didn`t provide any experiments that can support their remarkable and useful analysis and considerations.

And as we consider necessary to provide teachers and experts of a scientific tool to assess videogames` effectiveness in learning a second language, we can use their theories only to emphasize the meaning of our effort in order to change the current state of knowledge about the subject.
“Marsh and Tanio” in fact, analyzed game playing as a collaborative task, putting on focus both games and plays as central of process of learning and development (Cook 2000; Lantof and Thorn 2006; Rogoff 1990;) and the social component as meaningful and helpful.

Their studies examine the dynamic role and patterns that playing together develop bringing to the conclusion that these kinds of video games, (role play based in a situational context) are useful as they require players to build up a new identity as a first step to be involved in the play, that is the same stage, necessary to start to performance in a second language.

We can notice that in their analysis the social aspect is really relevant and that they remark one the most important aspect of the pragmatism, I mean, that in order to reinforce the performance is important to integrate to the formal teaching, the informal learning situations involving other students or native-speakers.