Joyce, again-again

•  
  • 52
  • 1
  • 1
Joyce, again-again

I believe that Joyce`s lesson on literature is that any split between form and content is greatly ideological. The preposition according to which reality needs to be narrated though a realistic style is deeply ideological. In the Ulysses, Joyce shows that there is not one base-form for the conveying of a truthful message. However, literature art cinema and every field of social and political life is abnormally saturated by a single way of thinking, and thus, of writing. The idea that a split between form and content would be functional to dominant power belonged originally to Marxism; György Lukács is one of the greatest developer of such thought. (It seems that the failure of communism has determined the dismissal of the Marxism criticism; a criticism that has enlightened Europe and the world throughout the last century.)
I believe there is not possible to do an exercise of style without implying that everything is an exercise of style. In this episode, Joyce plays with an historic form of parallax. We see the development of the same event evolving from different points of view through a change of literary perspective. The shift in position could be both defined as a parallax and as a the result of a process of metempsychosis. These are two among the philosophical perspectives that Joyce makes at work here. Upon this light, Ulysses seems to be an answer to the Dubliners; the parallax could be seen as a modification of the paralysis while the metempsychosis seems to be a continuous epiphany that changes in time and space.
I add, that it is almost impossible to me to attempt to propose a theory of any kind, as many are the obscure points in the text that I could not even understand.