ULYSSES

•  
  • 127
  • 0
  • 1
ULYSSES

At the end of the last chapter, Molly shows her acceptance toward her own life and life in general. Her stream of consciousness is full with contradictions. She feels jealousy, rage, envy and all of sort of human feelings, which are traditionally seen as bad or negative feelings. In this novel, the author works out all of a sort of so-called bad feelings in a new marvelous way. He seems telling us that the human psyche does not need to be pure and chaste in order to function.
In the Odyssey, Penelope waits his husband for 20 years, she is presented as pure, moral, uncorrupted, as these 20 years were slipped away without touching her.
Joyce presents a reversed Penolope, she is all sex, passion, life and adventures.
She may not be well educated but she is curious about others, appreciates nature and believes in God.

Her soliloquy is a stream of conscience, thus it may be written that way for better representing the shapes of unrestrained thoughts. However, there are other parts in the text in which Joyce experiments the stream of conscience but only this passage is written without the help of punctuation. I believe this final part represents the infinity and the circularity of the meaning of life therefore it is a progression into the self that doesn`t need any pause. It may also mean that it is up to the reader to come up with an interpretation/reading for this piece.

The last word represents her acceptance of both her life and life in general.
She is the object of many desires and of desire in general and functions in this novel as a calamite to which the protagonist/every man is attracted.
A man a woman and a son is for Joyce the meaning of the existence as it duplicates the model of Christian family. (Man father and holy spirit is the essence of every man). Bloom and his wife have lost a child therefore their marriage is wrecked, this painful wound has a bad influence on the way they works their desires of each other. Stephen is seen by both as an opportunity to fill such a void. He will deny his presence and give them only the sign of such an absence. It is like an event that did not happen pointing out a lack, a void, an overwhelming feeling.