CONCLUSION

•  
  • 118
  • 1
  • 1
CONCLUSION
Drawing some conclusion about the topic is not an easy task. Critics have extensively compared Eliot to Dante, found many difficulties. Dante`s priority is to show an order world with the Divine Providence at work; he shows a world where good and evil action are rewarded as they deserve. The action has a central role in life, which is easily explained by the role that politics plays in his interpretation of life. In Eliot we do not find all these elements: the purification of self goes through different phases but nothing grants him safety. Exactly as in Cavalcanti, the man lives in exile, far away from the Garden of Eden. The poem starts with a quote from Cavalcanti`s ballatetta, for a clear reason: he is trying to reply to the Italian poet. Surely he adds something to it, Cavalcanti`s despair is the loss of hope while Eliot wishes to not wish anymore. He took a step further. He also silences the blessed face of the love one, renounces to her voice. At the same time, the point of the departure is the same of Cavalcanti: their poems are both dramatic, their style has nothing to do with a comedy; both of them live an existential crisis, both of them live in exile. They share a feeling of doubt and uneasy, and I would say that both despair. Eliot tries hard to renounce hope and to reach the other side, but he still there at the gates of something he has constructed himself but cannot clearly see; he is there with Cavalcanti who says that being misunderstood will cause him pain even after his death. Being it a rhetoric claim or the thinnest of the hope, it is still to be understood.