REACTION PAPER 2

•  
  • 268
  • 1
  • 1
REACTION PAPER 2

The data from the first experiment seemed to confirm the hypothesis which children who are not previously exposed to a target language and adults of that language succeed in recognize these sound pattern. In this case the language is a Native American language called Thomson and the pattern to recognize is the contrasts between the velar and glottalized uvular sound /ki/ /qi/. Five adults out of five recognized this pattern while between children eight of ten did so. The method to test the children is called “head turn” (HD) paradigm and it implies a certain kind of reinforcement for children who turn their head when a sound pattern changes. The second experiment showed that the infants of 10-12 months performed significantly less better than younger infants while the third longitudinal experiment found that the ability to discriminate among sound that are not part of the language we are exposed to, decline within the first year of life. By 8 and 10 months only a small percentage of children could recognize among these contrasts while children of 10-12 months performed almost as adults.