2 ARTICLE REVIEW

•  
  • 118
  • 5
  • 1
2 ARTICLE REVIEW

This is a very interesting article that tries to give an accurate account of Calcanti`s spiriti and spiritelli use in his poems. The study investigates the rhetoric of Cavalcanti work by stressing out the partial lack of similes and metaphors and the numerous (almost obsessive) presence of a multitude of spiriti. It also deals with the personification of Death and Love and with the role that allegory has in his work. It may be of great interest to use what Possiedi calls a ‘temperamento schizotimico’ of Cavalcanti in order to address the question of meaning in his work. I can use this article to challenge the idea of an univocal an unambiguous sense in the interpretation of his religious sentiment.

The article compares the structure of Ash Wednesday to that of Dante`s Purgatory in the Divine Comedy. It finds that Eliot tries to follow Dante`s spiritual progression toward God. Words references and narrative sequences clearly shows Eliot`s intent to rewrite Dante`s masterpiece. Nevertheless, the poem`s general emotion is the lack of hope; the poet seems to be hesitant in his renounce worldly life and his psychological struggle is always present and quite vivid. My aim would be to use this article to show that many critics have ignored the connection between Eliot and Cavalcanti works. Some of them have fairly recognized the initial quote of Eliot but have underestimated its importance in the composition of the poem