REVIEW (please, help!)

•  
  • 281
  • 4
  • 2
REVIEW (please, help!)
The research paper that I would like to examine briefly treats a topic really relevant in Linguistics, expecially for what concerns teaching a foreign language method. The approch nowadays worldwide accepted is the Communicative Approach and this article refers to one of the most important, and I would say delicate, aspect of teaching a foreign language, the informal learning. As the Communicative Approch based itself not only on the performance that a student has in a classroom, (after a learning session and under the supervision of an expert) but on the proficiency that a student reaches and that can be tested and developed just when he or she is involved in a natural context where the targed language is widely spoken and undestood.
The article concerns how a teacher or an instructure could manage to involve learners in activities that take place out the classroom and troughout the medium of mobile devices that connect us to a world of information that came from the Country whose language and culture are the learning target. By means of authenticity of the information, we can aim reaching the comprehension of cultural elements, so relevant and decisive in the Communicvative Approach teaching style.
The author collects data about the use of mobile devices among scholars and their use of social networks and make an hypotesis about their possible use in a classroom, in a context of a learning lesson, under a supervision of a teacher or an expert. The study is based on metacognicon researches that follow Chomsky`s theory and Krashen`s hypothesis about how we learn a language, in which conditions, and throughout determineted factors that consitute our mindset, the laborory where the learning process takes place.
As conclusion of this brief review I could state, without hesitation, that this text concerns about a topic that it is central and crucial in the Communicative Approach debate, but that it comes to results not adequately supported by data and analysis. We all use technological tools in our daily life but it is still to prove that their usage could really affect our learning process, cognitvely. Even if we consider as proved the affective filter notion, though it doesn`t mean that a tool commonly used in informal contexts help us to avoid the anxiety and stress that are often causative of failure in learning process as preventing us from an easily acquisition of language. The study, thus, remains just a supposition based on a well know theory, and on a data collection merely descriptive. Otherwise my idea about the paper change if we consider the article as an essay that presents an opinion and that call teachers and istituition to collaborate in order to renew methodology and tasks in second language teaching methods and to reflect about it. It is not just common sense but a noble aim though.