NEW POST ON JOYCE

•  
  • 97
  • 1
  • 1
NEW POST ON JOYCE

The fast pace and incredibly elaborated episode of Circe contrasts with the slow and sleepy narration of this chapter which corresponds to the episode of Eumaeus. In this chapter, the hyper-immaginative narrative of the brothel in which fantasy and reality mingle giving place to a hypertrophic episode has been replaced by some tall tales of an Irish Simbad named Murphy. The language employed is corrupted and confuse and almost disarticulated probably because of the late hour and the alcoholic beverages consummated before.
The mariner, who plays the role of betrayer Melanthius, fails in recognizing Bloom as an skillful crafty man. At the contrary, he knows Stephen`s biological father and disguises him as a truly valorous man. The whole chapter compares and contrasts the artificial knowledge based on the experience of far exotic places of the mariner and the knowledge based on daily routine of Bloom, the real Ulysses.
Unlike such an ambiguous, the keeper of the shelter, Skin-the-Goat, who hides his true identity as he has probably taken a part in the Phoenix park assassination, provides, with his nationalist hyperbolic rhetoric, a familiare image of home for the two pilgrims Bloom and Stephen.
The entire episode revolves around uncertainty and lack of recognition; Bloom, as it usual happens, is seen as a stranger and his presence is never completed welcomed, while Stephen renounces to acknowledge Simon Dedalus as his father when the old mariner mentions him.