Sponsorship.

•  
  • 245
  • 0
  • 1
Sponsorship.
IELTS task: Some companies sponsor sports as a way to advertise themselves. Some people think it is good, while others think there are disadvantages to this. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
___________________________________
There are a lot of debates around sponsorship in a sport when businesses use it as a tool to promote their brand and products. Some people believe that it has many positive outcomes; the others argue that it has a lot of drawbacks. I think, sports always need financial assistance and a promotional campaign is a fair exchange, so both the companies and spots can benefit.
On the one hand, many people consider that money that comes from such sponsorship is beneficial for sports, and I agree. First of all, it gives an opportunity to build new facilities with brand new equipment, that can enhance a quality of training process, and as a result, it will improve sports results. Secondly, the young generation of athletes can benefit from a reduction of their expenses. Monthly payments for training is a real burden for some of them, and they have to quit a sport because it is hard to afford. Thirdly, it is an excellent way to make customers part of companies' "team", so they can contribute to a sports world and help young sportsmens by buying a cup of tea or a new pair of running shoes.
On the other hand, it is believed that it is not appropriate to use sponsorship to advertise a brand because it could lead to many misunderstandings and violations. For instance, the quality of product that a business wants to promote could be abysmal, and audience that is targeted by marketing hook, mostly sport's fans will buy the companies' products to support their favorite team or athlete. After the marketing campaign, in fan's minds, a strong association occurs between their favorite sport and particular company's brand. Another reason why people do not favor 'sponsorship-advertisement exchange' is because it can be misleading and confusing for youth. For instance, it was difficult to explain why athletes promote fast food products. Lastly, big corporations could influence sports management, and it leads to unfair decisions and violations that can affect athletes' and teams' performance.
In conclusion, there are two opinions about sponsorship and advertising a brand. Despite the fact that sometimes the drawbacks take place, in my view, this type of sponsorship in sport is beneficial and has many positive outcomes.