Intelligence

•  
  • 234
  • 1
  • 1
Intelligence
Task: Some people think that intelligence is innate, while others think that we can improve our intelligence through learning. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
_______________________________________________________________
Although many people argue that intellectual capacity is coded in human's genes, others believe that education and experience are the key that able to excel people's intelligence. In my opinion, I consider that intellectual ability can be enhanced by learning and constant feedback.
On the one hand, it is argued by some, that people are born with particular intellectual abilities, and it is impossible to change its level. This thought is based on an idea that if the genes are responsible for high flexibility, that is crucial for gymnasts or a beautiful voice that is important for singers, they also control people's intellect. Everyday observation shows that some people are good at math and logical tasks, while overs demonstrate their strength in the humanitarian field. Also, some individuals were born with the particular condition can perform well only if they work with simple intellectual tasks.
On the other hand, many people think that education and experience can increase mental capacity and I completely agree. First of all learning process is entirely natural state for every brain. In other words, if a brain does not learn then it is impossible for species to survive. Brain's Plasticity allows people to learn and relearn despite many mental conditions. Secondly, there were several cases when scientists worked with feral children. After social isolation the children lost their ability to learn a language, they could not build vocabulary, and their behavior mimicked the animal's behavior with whom these kids lived. It happened because the children did not have informational and emotional input in critical learning periods. But even in this situation, these kids benefited a lot from qualified help that included specific education program. There are cases in a scientific world then feral children partly recovered and socialized. Thirdly, even though a child was born with learning disabilities, it is possible through specific education, patience, and constant feedback to correct the condition.
In conclusion, while people may vary in their opinions, I think that learning process and experience are indispensable factors, the intelligence cannot be improved and developed without them.