I translate a Chinese passage into English.

•  
  • 529
  • 3
  • 3
Some guys are full of fancies. To these men, a good approach is image that arguing with a person who possess different opinion with you. Gandhi was regretful deeply to the railway、the boats and the machines. In his opinion, the whole The Industrial Revolution is unnecessary. Maybe you will never have the chance to meet a guy with this opinion. Because most people see the modern technology as good things in the west countries. But if you really want to agree with the modern view and consider it is correct, the best way is to assume the arguments from Gandhi who objected to the benefits from the modern technology, so that you can check out the arguments you think. I often change my original thoughts when I have a dialogue with myself. In some time, though I didn’t change my original thoughts, I will lose my confidence when I realize the arguments maybe reasonable.

有些人富于心理想象力。对于这些人来说,一个好办法便是设想一下自己在与一位怀有不同偏见的人进
行辩论。圣雄甘地就对铁路、轮船和机器深表遗憾,在他看来整个产业革命都要不得。也许你永远没有机会真的遇见一位抱有这种见解的人,因为在西方国家里大多数人都把现代技术的种种好处视为当然。但是如果你确实想同意这种流行的看法乃是正确的,那么一个好办法就是设想一下甘地为了反驳现代技术的种种好处而可能提出的论据,从而检验一下你自己想到的论据。我自己有时就因为进行这种想象性的对话而真的改变了原来的看法;即令没有改变原来的看法,也常常因为认识到假想的论敌有可能蛮有道理而变得不那么自以为是。