Books vs Electronical Devices

•  
  • 253
  • 2
  • 4
Since the introduction of tablets and electronic devices on the market, thanks to the breakthrough of the new technologies, it has been suggested that technological appliances such as electronic devices and tables should take over the role of books. This suggestion seems to me impractical for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, when people use electronical devices, they tend to get easily distracted in addictive games, social networks and websites which is speacilly dangeours for students since it would occupy most of their time when they are supposed to be studying. In contrast, if people have only a paper book in hands, they will focus their full attention in the content of the book. What is more, textbooks are seen as tools for learning while electronical devices are widely viewed as tools to entertain.

Also, electronical devices do not allow the readers to do annotations (like scribbling in the margins and underlining), which for many people is essential to deep reading. What is more, it seems that people need feeling pages and smelling the book since it awakens something in the human subconscious.

Additionally, electrical gadgets cause health problems like muscular and joint aches and vision problems like blurred vision and dry eyes. The consequence would often be an increase of fatigue and irritability.

All in all, my opinion on the matter is that tablets and electronic devices should not replace physical books thanks to its large number of advantages. Of course, it may be that some people are attracted by modern devices just in the name of fashion, however avid readers will continue using paper books. After all, it is the only way to sense with our fingers a pile of pages growing on the left and decreasing on the right and have the tactile sense of progress.