Hebrew lesson - ...את ה

•  
  • 36
  • 9
  • 1
Hello guys, it's been a long time since I've posted here.
As you might have guessed, I don't come so often to this site anymore.
Maybe the people I know aren't here any longer, but whoever you are, if you study Hebrew, this entry is for you!
Back in the day (if you just check my older enteries) I wrote an entry about ה"א הידיעה which is called simply "The". Today I want to talk with you about another thing, and I'm sure you know about what (as it's only written in the title!).
I think, although it might be just cause I'm a native speaker, that this topic is really quite easy, so it shouldn't be hard!
As you study Hebrew, you most definitely come across many sentences where you see this little word that comes right before ה"א הידיעה, yeah I'm talking about this little
את (et). What is it? what is it for? so את has only one function and it's to tell you that the noun ahead is a direct object, it's like a case marker.
את comes only before definite nouns, so this even more narrows the use of it - remember: את comes only before definite direct objects.
"But wait" you might say "how would I know when it's direct object and when to use it?"
So, direct object is the well, I don't quite know how to expalin it rather than say - the direct object of the action (the verb). for example, if I say "Danny ate the apple", so we have here the subject (Danny), the action (of eating) and the object (the apple).
So in Hebrew we'll get the sentence דני אכל את התפוח.
Now, if I change the word order in English I'd get the strange sentence "The apple ate Danny" - oh no! that sounds horrible, poor Danny! but why is it? well, cause if we keep the things as they are in English, we'd just switch the object and the subject, but in Hebrew you can do that without changing the meaning of the sentence, how come? of course - את comes to help.
"את התפוח אכל דני" would still mean the same thing as "דני אכל את התפוח", cause את tells us that the apple is the direct object and not Danny. To change the subject and object you'd have to say - התפוח אכל את דני and well, I'd have to say again - poor Danny!
So whenever you have a verb, that doesn't take a preposition or open a clause, know it'd come with את.
what does it mean? you see, in every language you have these annoying verbs that always take with them a certain preposition. For example, think of "think of"! you won't say "I think you", you'd say "I think of you".
In Hebrew we have many verbs that take a preposition with them, here are some examples -
לטפל ב, לצפות ב, לחשוב על, להשתמש ב, לספר ל, לשקר ל, להתרחק מ and so on.
With these verbs you won't use את, and this is not just a matter of being incorrect, it might change the meaning of the sentence, for example -
אני מספר לך - I'm telling you
vs.
אני מספר אותך - I'm cutting your hair
So whenever you have a verb that comes with a preposition, you'd use the preposition afterwards, for example -
אני צופה בסרט, הוא חושב על העתיד שלו, אל תשקר לאף אחד, תתרחק ממני
some verbs open a clasue, for example -
אני חושב שהיא מאוד נחמדה, אני יודע שאתה לא רוצה לדבר על זה, אני מניח שהגיע הזמן
so of course, when ש (that) comes after a verb and opens a clause, you won't use את.
With all the rest, you would! you have a verb that doesn't take a preposition and a definite direct object comes straight ahead? use את!
for example -
אני אשיר לכם את השיר האהוב עליי - I'll sing for you my favourite song
דניאל קרא את הספר הזה כבר חמש פעמים - Daniel've already read this book five times
שמעתי את מה שאמרת - I've heard what you've said
בניתי את המכונית הזאת בעצמי - I built this car by myself\on my own
ניקיתי את החדר - I cleaned the room

One last thing to notice is, that ...את ה, has a short version which is 'ת (ta)
for example you might hear or read people saying or writing things like -
!ת)סגור ת'דלת) ((ti)sgor ta'delet) - close the door!
You can hear this use of 'ת in this song -

Hope this entry was helpful for you.
If you have any comments or questions, write them down below. Hope I could help.

Have a good weekend, and I'll use this entry to wish you all -
!שנה טובה, גמר חתימה טובה וחג סוכות שמח =)