My Attempt at Translating A Poem

•  
  • 44
  • 2
  • 1
Apr 27, 2019 14:09 English
This poem was originally made by Mao Zedong in Chinese language.

Although I am unsure whether what he used to do for China is good or bad according to different historical documents and opinions, some of his poems are kind of attract me to read in short.

Here is one of his poems when he led the People's Liberation Army overcame the KMT troops in April, 1949 and occupied Nanjing.

In light of the details of this poem, he thought that being humble at anytime is important even though he obtained a landslide victory.

Here is my translation of this poem:

The rainstorm of the revolution is shaking the Chiang-dynasty's capital:Nanjing.

Million numbers of the People's Liberation Army has crossed the Changjiang River and occupied Nanjing.

The city of Nanjing returned to people's hand. She is more beautiful than anytime.

Such a mass change is adequate for people rejoice and inspired. We should capitalize such a great opportunity to liberate the whole China.

We can't imitate Xiang Yu, the king of Chu (an ancient state in China) who founded the Chu empire at southern coastline of the Changjiang River because he merely separated his border at the Changjiang River and never desired to enhance more territories of his empire.

If the Nature knows the law of prosperity and decline without constantly changes, developments and processing, this is the regulation of the development of human society.

Who is Xiang Yu:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiang_Yu
(這首詩原本是由毛澤東以中文所創作)

(根據不同的歷史文獻與評論,雖然我並不確定他是否為中國做了好事或壞事,總之他的有些詩詞還是有些吸引我去讀)

(這是他其中一首詩,在1949年四月當他領導人民解放軍擊敗國民黨軍並佔領南京時所作)

(根據這首詩的內容,他認為在任何時候保持謙虛是很重要的,即使他取得了壓倒性的大勝利)

Here is my translation of this poem:
(這是我對於這首詩的翻譯:)

(Classical Chinese:鐘山風雨起蒼黃)
(Written vernacular Chinese:革命的暴風雨震盪着蔣家王朝都城南京)

(Classical Chinese:百萬雄師過大江)
(Written vernacular Chinese:解放軍以百萬雄師突破長江天險,直攻蔣軍苦心經營三個半月的根據地—南京城)

(Classical Chinese:虎踞龍盤今勝昔)
(Written vernacular Chinese:以雄奇險峻而着稱的古都南京城回到了人民手中,她比任何時候都美麗。)

(Classical Chinese:天翻地覆慨而慷,宜將剩勇追窮寇)
(Written vernacular Chinese:這天翻地覆的巨大變化,是足以令人慷慨高歌和歡欣鼓舞的。應該趁現在這敵衰我盛的大好時機,痛追殘敵,解放全中國。)

(Classical Chinese:不可沽名學霸王)
(Written vernacular Chinese:不可學那割據長江南岸,建立割據勢力的霸王項羽。)

(Classical Chinese:天若有情天亦老,人間正道是滄桑。 )
(Written vernacular Chinese:自然界如果有知,它會體察到興盛與衰敗這條不可改變的法則。不斷地變異、不斷地發展、不斷地前進,這是人類社會發展的必然規律。)

(誰是項羽:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiang_Yu)