My Attempt At Translating A Poem

•  
  • 97
  • 0
  • 1
May 6, 2019 07:51 English
Here is one of the Mao Zedong's poems.

After completing the Long March (retreat of the Red Army 1934-1935 in China), Mao and his troops embarked on the Monts Liupan, he therefore sighed with emotion and wrote this poem.

Similarly, this entry doesn't related to politics, I merely enjoy translating some Chinese poets' works.

Here is my translation:

The weather is good and sunny today / Many goose flew towards south side of the heavens.

If a person who haven't get on to the top of the Great Wall of China / That person is absolutely not a hero / After counting the frequency of fighting / We (the PLA) have been fighting over twenty-thousand times.

There are many spectacular peaks on the mountaintop of the Monts Liupan / Many strong westerlies are rolling up red flags / Today I have controlled a long rope just like strong armed forces in my both hands / When will I overcome that brutal dragon of Chiang Kai-shek?

What is the Long March, according to the New Oxford American Dictionary, it means that the epic withdrawal of the Chinese communists from south-eastern to north-western China in 1934–5, over a distance of 9,600 km (6,000 miles). 100,000 people, led by Mao Zedong, left the communist rural base after it was almost destroyed by the Kuomintang; 20,000 people survived the journey.
Here is one of the Mao Zedong's poems.
(這是毛澤東的其中一首詩)

(完成兩萬五千里長征之後(在中國大陸於1934-1935年間撤回中國工農紅軍),毛澤東與他的軍隊登上了六盤山,他因此有所感慨並寫了這首詩)

(同樣地,這篇日記與政治無關,我僅是享受翻譯一些詩人的詩詞而已)

Here is my translation:
(這是我的翻譯:)

(Classical Chinese:天高雲淡,望斷南飛雁。)
(Written vernacular Chinese:長空高闊白雲清朗,南飛的大雁已望到了天邊。)

(Classical Chinese:不到長城非好漢,屈指行程二萬。)
(Written vernacular Chinese:不登臨長城關口絕不是英雄,算下來已征戰了二萬。)

(Classical Chinese:六盤山上高峯,紅旗漫卷西風。今日長纓在手,何時縛住蒼龍?)
(Written vernacular Chinese:六盤山上雄峯再拔,烈烈西風漫卷着紅旗。今天我長繩之武裝緊握手中,哪一天才會將那蔣家狂龍捆縛?)

(兩萬五千里長征是什麼意思,根據New Oxford American字典,意指中國共產黨從中國大陸的東南方將工農紅軍於1934-1935年撤至西北方,距離超過9.600公里(6000英里),十萬人由毛澤東所領導,在國民黨摧毀了共產黨在鄉下區域的基地後離開,兩萬人在旅途中因此存活了下來)