Two Books

•  
  • 380
  • 3
  • 2
I’ve finished reading two books recently.
The first is the “Troll Bridge”, a short story by Terry Pratchett. I saw someone's entry about this story (so I’m plagiarizing). Okay, a knight comes to a bridge, and a troll lives under the bridge. The troll, a clean-living one, waits for wanderers and assaults them. The knight, a clean-living troll, hunts for trolls and kills them (and he takes their treasure). However, this troll hasn’t any treasures, he has a family – a wife (trouble and strife) and kids and he hast to maintain the bridge. The knight has a horse as old as he is. The horse (it belonged to a wisard sometime) can speak and it speaks to the knight those things that usually the inner voice says. It seems strange, but the troll rejoices at the knight’s visit – “…Cohen the Barbarian! On my bridge!... Beryl! Get up here! Bring the kids!” It needs to be said the troll is the last clean-living one. Others trolls have moved to towns for work and yea, some of them became respectable businesspersons. What could the honest generous knight do in this situation? He didn’t kill the troll of course, and he even gave him last own money, but he is going to visit his brothers-in-low, who are rich entrepreneurs. And if you remember clean-living knights hunt for trolls. I can say it is generic for modern literacy to upend things. I don’t criticize, just state, so, in depending on your credo, you could understand the story in two ways – that progress is not such a good thing probably and honest generous knights are enemies of progress.
The second book is “Classic Hand Tools” by Garret Hack. I started to read this book more than a year ago, maybe more than two years. I read one or two pages a day and sometimes I left the book for a long time. I hope that if I started it now, it would take less than two years. The book tells about hand tools for woodworking. I can’ t say, if Garret does woodwork for life or if it is just a hobby. There isn’t any message behind the book, you needn’t read between the lines.
I don’t juxtaposing (opose? set against? confront?) the books, it’s just a coincidence that it is these two books that I’d finished. By the way, there never were tools like ‘froe’ in Russia. Do you know this? Do you see froe?