Reading

•  
  • 239
  • 7
  • 2
Russians speakers advise literature for Russian learners and often offer something like “The Best of…” – Dostoevsky, Tolstoy etc. Sometimes Russian learners are trying to kill two birds with one stone. They start reading a Russian book aiming to learn about the book and to learn Russian. If your level is advanced or you have facility for languages, it could be a good strategy, but for me it’s not. I say read in Russian that that you’ve read in native and only if you like it and would like read it again. I always advise this, but I don’t always follow it. I have some English books, which I’d started to read and hadn’t finished. Some of the books are really good ones, but I couldn’t enjoy reading. When you will have read a page or two in an hour with difficulty, looking up in a dictionary the minute – it kills any motivation. Once you’ll postpone a book for pressing matters (or tiredness, or laziness, or something else) and can you put it in your hand again? Oh, you can? OK, OK, excuse me then. I would like recomend you something suitable from Russian but I can’t see the subject in aye of Russian learners (and, to tell the truth, I don’t know Russian literature very well; probably, maybe someone of you know it better). I’m glade if you like Russian language and literature, but whether it necessary to torture both you and Classics? Read them in native language first. However, just for the record, there are some books staying out fashion or politics, not so difficult and long, for example The Little Prince, The Old Man and the Sea. Why not recall it now?
As for me, I’m not going to read Dostoevsky or the Book of Job in English (in the near future). Now I read ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ (my vocabulary get richer by some old-fashioned words). I think my next English book will be the ‘Two Little Savages’. How will that unfold? We’ll see.