Commas and Staccato

•  
  • 304
  • 1
  • 1
I had read a book in last year. It was “Eats, Shoots&Leavs: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation” by Lynne Truss. Have you read it? I’d read it in Russian. It has other name in Russian, more like to “Let eat grandma!” There is some difference in punctuations in British an American English (I'm not even talking about Russian) and there is much mess with using punctuation in both. I have ordinary education and sometimes I use punctuation rather intuitively than on knowing. I think I too often use a dash. I feel some sympathy to Lynne Truss despite some critics. Describing severity, which sometimes people have with punctuation, in particular with commas (could it have been apostrophe?), Lynn Truss used a metaphor with shark fin. Do you have seen a movie “Jaws”? (Americans put question mark before right quotation mark, excuse me) Of course, you do. You remember tunes sounding in very tense moments. Do you remember that staccato cello? I didn’t know that it is called “staccato cello”, I used to think it is just “Ta-ta-ta-ta…”