Title: Efficacy and Safety of Ultrasound-guided Percutaneous Thoracic Biopsy

•  
  • 200
  • 0
  • 1
Background: Ultrasound-guided percutaneous thoracic biopsy (USGPTB) can be a useful diagnostic procedure when target lesions are located in peripheral part of the lung, pleura, or mediastinum. It is conveniently performed by respiratory physicians at bedside without radiation exposure. The aim of our study was to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of USGPTB.

Methods: We retrospectively reviewed medical records of cases who had underwent USGPTB in the respiratory department of our hospital.

Results: Between January 2011 and May 2016, a total of 47 patients received USGPTB in our hospital. 36 malignant (17 lung cancer, 4 mesothelioma, 5 thymoma, and 12 others) and 11 non-malignant (8 infection and 3 others) cases were found. Forty-two of 47 patients were successfully diagnosed by USGPTB, resulting in overall diagnostic rate of 87.5% (42/28). The diagnostic rates of malignancy and non-malignancy were 89.2% (33/37) and 81.8% (9/11), respectively. Median duration of procedural completion was 31 (range: 10-75) minutes. The size of tumors (median 65.7, range, 23.1-143.1mm) and distance (median 20, range, 6-48mm) from tumors to chest wall do not significantly influence successful diagnosis. In 7 (87.5%) of 8 infection cases, bacterial or fungul pathogen were precisely identified. In 3 of ? cases where transbronchial lung biopsy (TBLB) had failed their diagnoses, USGPTG succeeded diagnoses. Complications were observed in three (5.4%) patients. All these three patients had grade 1 hemoptysis. One of them revealed empyema and required antibotics and following chest tube drainage.

Conclusion: USGPTG demonstrated high diagnostic rate and safety in many types of thoracic diseases. It could be more useful than TBLB in some cases where peripheral lung lesions was unable to be diagnosed by TBLB.