Waka (和歌) part2

•  
  • 200
  • 1
  • 1
Now I’ll return to the tread of my story. One word which has the same sound and different meanings makes double contexts in one sentence. In this way, it is possible to express about both nature and human being in parallel. The background of this rhetoric is in the idea that the nature has heart so that people can represent their feelings by describing nature.

People believed human being could capture the nature by singing waka. This means a kind of possession or domination of the nature. Moreover, the domination of the nature means the domination of national land. So the emperor of Japan ordered to compile waka and he tried to prove his power thereby in the era of the establishment of the Japanese Nation. He controlled waka and then it meant he controlled the national land. What is interesting is that the emperor was also controlled by waka, which subjects or a nation made their petition to poem. They read their unfortunate lives or suffer in poem.

For example:
春の宮花は咲くとも谷寒み埋るる草は光をも見ず
If I translate this song literally word to word, it is like as below.
Flowers are blooming in the palace in spring, but the plants buried in the cold valley where the village are not under the sunlight.
This means in the following;
Flowers are blooming in the palace. However, I cannot see the sunlight because I live in the village in the cold valley like a wild grass.

From the above, we know now waka is in a close relationship with the power or politic system in Japan and has a big invisible power, whose source is feelings of human. People read them to the poem by reading nature through the cultural filter.

I’ll finish to write today. I want to write about the modern waka in the next post.

Thank you for reading my entry.
See you~!!