Waka(和歌) part3

•  
  • 296
  • 0
  • 1
Today I will talk about the modern Waka. Before doing so, I would like to add some points to my previous entry.

I wrote in it that the traditional Waka has an invisible power. The emperors had needed to use this power in order to dominate over the Japanese land. Further back in Japanese history, we reach the Japanese myth, in which it is written about the origin of Japan. According to it, a long line of Japanese emperors are the descendants of sun god whom was recorded as the creator of Japanese Land. Waka was used in it to explain how Japan had been made and how Japanese emperor had concerned with Gods (We Japanese believe Gods inhabit everything (Shintoism). You can imagine easily this world through “The Princess Mononoke” by Hayao Miyazaki). It is deemed that this myth is the origin of Waka. This means Waka was made by the authors to have an invisible power to which people feel like something sacred.

Now I’ll go to the modern Waka. As I wrote already, Waka was required to be unusual or to have special atmosphere. As time goes by, however, Waka had been freed from such a spell. In the Edo-era (1603~1868), the way to write waka was changing. In this age, another expression styles, e.g. haiku written with 17 syllables arranged in the pattern: 5-7-5, jyoururi, kabuki, or novel, became more popular than waka. They had an impact on it. So its style became as follow.

・Write the waka with the common, everyday words like everyone knows.
・Express how you felt exactly in person with your own words.

It became―day by day―being considered better to write a poetry with a simple and realistic describing in order to make readers have the picture of it easily.

◆Very popular haiku:
古池や蛙飛びこむ水の音 (Basho Matsuo)
ふるいけや かわずとびこむ みずのおと(5-7-5)
Huruike ya kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto
The ancient pond
A frog leaps in
The sound of the water.
(Donald Keene)

It’s very simple and easy. It’s exactly realistic, isn’t it?

◆Waka in the Edo-era:
霞立つ長き春日を子どもらと手まりつきつつこの日暮らしつ (Ryoukann)
かすみたつ ながきはるひ こどもらと てまりつきつつ このひくらしつ
Kasumitatsu nagakiharuhi kodomora to temari tsukitsutsu konohi kurashi tsu
I live my life while playing handball with children a genial day in spring.

◆Waka in the Meiji-era(1868~1912):
その子二十櫛にながるる黒髪のおごりの春のうつくしきかな (Akiko Yosano)
Sonoko hatachi kushi ni nagaruru kurokami no ogori no haru no utsukushiki kana
I am twenty years old now. Combing my rich black hair is flowing. How beautiful it is like a bloom of youth.

柔肌の 熱き血潮に 触れもみで 寂しからずや 道を説く君 (Akiko Yosano)
Yawahada no atsuki chishio ni hure momi de samishikarazuya michi wo toku kimi
Hey you, concerning the morality as the most important thing in the world, don’t you feel loneliness without touching the tender skin of girls?

いのちなき砂のかなしさよ さらさらと 握れば指のあひだより落つ(Takuboku Ishikawa)
Inochi naki suna no kanasisa to sara sara to nigireba yubi no aida yori otsu
The sand is like a life. It is transitory and sorrowful, as if the sand falls off the hand when I grasp it.

いちはつの 花咲きいでて 我目には 今年ばかりの 春行かんとす (Shiki Masaoka)
いちはつの はなさきいでて わがめには ことしばかりの はるゆかんとす)
Ichihatsu no hana sakiidete wag a me niha kotoshi bakari no haru yukann tosu
Ichihatsu flower (Iris) is blossoming. This spring may be the last one for me to see.
(This author caught an incurable disease. He would die in a year. So this spring was last one for him. )

Nowadays, waka is becoming like a catch phrase.
I would like to end this entry with introducing the contemporary waka to you.

この味がいいねと君がいったから7月6日はサラダ記念日(Machi Tawara)
このあじが いいねときみが いったから しちがつむいかは さらだきねんび
Kono aji ga ii ne to kimi ga itta kara shichi gatsu muika ha sarada kinennbi
Because you told me, it tasted good,
So 6th July is the salad anniversary.

「嫁さんになれよ」だなんてカンチューハイ二本で言ってしまっていいの(Machi Tawara)
Yomesann ni nareyo da nannte kanntyuhai nihon de itte simatte ii no
Are you crazy? Is it justified you proposed me only with two bottles of beer?

思い出はミックスベジタブルのよう けれど解凍はしてはいけない(Machi Tawara)
Omoide ha mix vegetable no you keredo kaitou ha shiteha ikenai
The memories are like mixed vegetables. But, you should not thaw them.

Yes. Memories are always beautiful and colorful because I just remember the good experiences without the bad ones. So if I tried to meet somebody in order to bring back a past into existence again, it would not work well like the thawed mixed vegetables which taste bad.

Now, I find it easier to translate contemporary waka.LoL

Thank you for reading my post.
See you~~!!