Schools for Kids and Teenagers

•  
  • 206
  • 2
  • 2
Here in Moscow, there are three types of schools for kids and teenagers. I would call them as 1) common schools, 2) schools for rich kids, and 3) schools for talented kids. I have graduated from the common school, which was 5 minutes away from my apartment. The close location is an undoubted advantage of such schools. The second positive thing arises out of the first one. Here, you can meet the perplexing mixture of the kids from the county who belong to the different social strata. According to my school experience, there were hooligans from families of alcoholics and junkies, hooligans from comparatively rich families and other mediocre kids from middle-class families (it is worthy to mention that the middle class in Russia is far more pauper people than their counterparts in the EU or USA). Rarely, I met there some talented kids. Studying in such diverse community means that you face a strong hierarchy – bullies on the top, nerds on the bottom, and the mediocre kids endorsing the bullies. This experience ensures that you would not be surprised and jittered in the adulthood, e.g. contacting with people in your job, university, police, medical services, etc. Neither of the middle-class representatives can afford the school for rich kids. So, it is exclusively for the kids of famous singers, movie stars, high-level functionaries, bankers, and miscellaneous riffraff. The level of education there is the same low as in the common schools, but teachers do not yell at kids, at least. The most important thing is that rich Russians would not jeopardize the calmness of their kids by letting them interact with the kids from the lower social strata, so they have to pay. The schools for talented kids are where kids get different subjects savvies pertinent for the following University education. It works owing to teachers who actually have not graduated from the teacher colleges. They are masters of different sciences who decided not to work in dilapidating universities and institutions for ridiculously small salary. These schools recruit through non-trivial examinations, thus the really talented kids could pass only. There are no strong hierarchies and bullies as in the common schools and the teachers usually treat the kids as actual persons. At universities, it translates into the higher educational level of these kids compared to their counterparts, though they seem a bit oddish - maybe they are not that brutal and more gregarious than other students. This may become disadvantageous for them living in Russia.