A New Language to Learn

•  
  • 144
  • 0
  • 2
I have to confess that I do not find learning foreign languages entertaining so that I would never make it my hobby. That feature of my personality works poorly for my further attempts in learning languages. However, I do like my job in Academia and science in general where a certain proficiency in English is compulsory. I also understand that I will never work as a scientist in the Russian Federation again because it is just a mockery of common sense and dignity of a working person. Considering that, I would like to try to become a citizen of Finland at some point in my life. A prerequisite for this is an intermediate level of proficiency in one of the state’s languages which are Finnish and Swedish. There are the pros and cons of both choices. A good thing about Finnish is that everybody speaks it in my residence city so I will be embedded in the language environment. On the other hand, Finnish has a very convoluted and complex grammar structure, which makes it extremely hard to learn for people with the first language other than Finno-Ugric. Finno-Ugric languages constitute their own language family to which Finnish belongs, other examples are Estonian, Hungarian, Komi ect. The next difficult thing is also rooted there. A separate language family has a core of basic word roots common for languages it includes. Thus, Finnish does not have many common word roots with Russian or English. On the flip side, Swedish together with Russian and English belong to Indo-European languages. This makes Swedish much easier to learn for Slavs and most other Europeans. Unfortunately, there is nobody to speak Swedish with.