A True Russian Dish

•  
  • 57
  • 3
  • 2
I believe that national cuisines are not insulated, so they share lots of dishes with their close and distant neighbors. Thus, most of the claims regarding the uniqueness of national food items have no validity. When it comes to the Russian cuisine, you can easily recall pelmeni or its meatless counterpart, vareniki. Frankly speaking, Tatars and people of Central Asia have manifold items of pelmeni like dishes and you are definitely familiar with Italian ravioli, which are almost the same as vareniki. The same thing is correct for almost all Russian dishes, even pirozhki and vatrushki are suspiciously similar to their Finno-Ugrian analogs. Similarly, popular in Russia dressed herring is rooted in Swedish or Jewish cuisine, etc. However, I know at least one food item that is originally Eastern Slavic i.e confined exclusively to Russia, Ukraine, and Belorussia. This is okróshka! It is soup made of versatile vegetable, meat or egg filling poured with cold kvass, which is also considered to be Slavic but it has many similar counterparts in Baltic and Scandinavia. Kvass is a moderately sweet beverage made of fermented rye bread. It has low alcohol concentration. At least it is not supposed to be stronger than soft beer. Being cold soup, this dish is refreshing during the summer hot so I encourage you to try it. You can easily find many not time-consuming recipes of okróshka on the internet. To simplify the process, just buy some good-quality kvass in a Russian or Ukrainian shop. However, it might be a bit unusual to mix sweet liquid and vegetable or meat-based filling so do not spew it after the first sip, give it a chance.