Interslavic

•  
  • 86
  • 7
  • 3
I stumbled across a YouTube video featuring a certain Check gentleman talking a language he developed himself. The most peculiar thing about this language is its understandability for all Slavs. According to the comments below this video, representatives of all three linguistic lineages of Slavs are able to fully understand it. With the aid of a mathematician, Jan van Steenbergen, Vojtech Merunka, the creator of Interslavic, resorted to an intuitive approach of scoring each candidate word for Interslavic based on its occurrence in modern Slavic languages. A word that received a higher score was incorporated in Interslavic. As for me, it sounds like a language that is much closer to Russian than Ukrainian. Serbian and Slovak-speaking people had the same impression of stunning similarity of their languages and Interslavic. This means that Vojtech achieved his goal. Unfortunately, the history of artificial languages does not bode well for Interslavic. In the best-case scenario, it will be used by linguistic enthusiasts like Esperanto but more likely it will cease with its creator. If you have a high level of proficiency in any Slavic language, you would understand what Vojtech talking about in this video.