A Practice of Littering

•  
  • 68
  • 3
  • 2
Many times on YouTube and in real life, I have come across Post-Soviet people who had visited western countries as tourists and told how much cleaner streets and parks abroad were if compared with their home countries. Many of them even inferred that disparity from the Soviet era. They declared that Soviet people had been devoid of private property along the course of history, so they lacked the feeling of responsibility. Subsequently, that mindset has been inherited by the Post Soviet population. Guided by that idea, they threw the whole blame upon the state’s land ownership in Russia and suggested the privatization of all the state’s land as a cure. New owners would carefully treat their land by not throwing away there bottles and plastic. Moreover, there is a Russian saying which can be translated as "a clean place is not where someone cleans, but where nobody litters". However, I find that logic fallacious. While doing my everyday stroll through Helsinki parks, I stumble upon recently appeared waste: plastic, bottles, cigarette gobies, etc. During winters, the ground beyond the borders of the city center is flooded with dog feces in Helsinki as in Moscow. All that means that nordic people, stereotypically considered to be one of the most responsible ones, are the same as Russians in their carelessness practice of littering. The real difference is made by well-paid Finnish janitors with all the expendable materials at their disposal. Thus, they are able to keep the area relatively clean.