The Best Slavic Languge to Learn

•  
  • 226
  • 5
  • 1
I have encountered the statement that Russian is the third or fourth of the difficulties language to learn after Chinese, Arabic and maybe Finish. However, it is untruth obviously. I think that some relatives of Finish such as Hungarian, Estonian or even more so Komi are as much difficult as Finish itself. Similarly, Russian has many relatives with similar convoluted grammar structure, which makes them as much difficult to internalize as my native language. So, I was thinking about which is the most difficult Slavic language to learn for a native English speaker.
I think that Russian is difficult because of Cyrillic alphabet, so language learners could be frightened by letter Ж because it looks (and sounds, maybe) like a bear or some letters that look like numbers, for instance, ч. The result is that text in Russian looks like a spyware cipher. By the way, did you know that Bolsheviks had several attempts to transfer Russian into Latin script? Such a pity that they have not completed this great initiative.
The other thing is random stress patterns. I know that there are some Slavic languages that have more stable stress pattern, for instance, Czech. A few years ago I was trying to learn it just for fun for a few months. The grammar structure and vocabulary were super easy and intuitive for native Russian. However, I was afraid of myself when tried to read it out loud, because of all that scary growling and hissing sounds it has. And of course, it is almost undoable to pronounce it in a proper way. Frankly speaking, Russian also has growling and hissing sounds but, in my opinion, they are not that hardcore.
Well, if you want to learn Slavic language, what to chose. Russian is the most widespread Slavic language. A larger part of the Slavic population use it as native, and besides that, if you know Russian, you are going to manage fine in the former Soviet Union and there are high chances that you can successfully communicate with people 40 years and older in many countries of Eastern Europe. Czech and Polish are also the good chooses, since there are a lot of its native speakers, and there are some great books and movies on these languages. I believe it is impossible to fully understand the impeccable humor of The Good Soldier Švejk if you are unable to read in Czech; or Russian, the author made his own Russian translation. He spent a lot of time in Russia working on Bolsheviks during the civil war, so he knew Russian at the native level.