Punishment for Children

•  
  • 87
  • 0
  • 0
Educating children has always been a huge task for parents at any times. Particularly, how to teach children to distinguish right and wrong at their early age can be the greatest concern to parents. A large number of people tend to believe that punishment is necessary to help children learn what is right and what is wrong.
Children, especially those under 10, are generally considered as holding no certain social norms as adults do. They may steal, lie or bully. When they do, they need someone to stop them and discipline them. Since children can be naughty, the punishment would be a good method for them to learn the lesson, corporal punishment may be involved occasionally. I can still remember when I was 9 years old, I came up with an idea that I thought was perfect to steal the goods in a shop. It didn’t go smoothly, and I was caught. My father took me home and hit my palm badly without saying a single word. This incident made a deep impression on me, and I would never forget the lesson.
On the other hand, some people argue that punishment is unfair to children. They are born with no malicious intention in them. Since they are innocent and know nothing about what they do, they don’t deserve the punishment. Also, some people regard the increasing youth crime as one of the results of the punishment criminals received when they were younger. The punishment has distorted their sense of values and made them hatred to the world.
In conclusion, I hold the view that punishment can be used when it is necessary to discipline children. However, we should do it properly and always remember that to help children become a decent human being is our primary aim.