Dress Codes

•  
  • 91
  • 0
  • 0
In the modern workplace, quite a lot of employers view the quality of work more important than how the employees dress, especially in the technology sector. While I think it is still necessary for certain professions to wear formally.
On the one hand, many employers stop telling their employees how to dress, and I see this as a positive trend. Some of the most successful technology giants, including Google and Facebook, advocate that every employee can dress in the way they like. They hold the notion: “dress freely, think freely.” Even the executives and leaders are rarely seen wearing anything else but T-shirts and jeans. As newly rising technology firms, they are proud of freeing themselves from the traditional dress codes and embracing a new working style. Today, technology companies like Google and Facebook enjoy not only their popularity all over the world but also casual dress codes.
However, in some traditional working contexts, it is still necessary to dress formally. It gives people the impression that you take your job seriously. Also, it often subconsciously makes people think that you are professional enough and you are the right person to cooperate with. Moreover, an employee represents not only oneself but also the image of the company he or she is working for. A company in which employees dressing formally tend to make people believe that it is trustworthy. So it is not hard to understand why many employers care about how their employees dress. In addition, people working in public service departments, such as policemen, nurses, airline pilots, are often expected to wear uniforms. Despite the fact that uniforms may offer safety protection, they are more important to help them identify their positions and roles in society and portray an image of authority, trustworthiness, and diligence.
In conclusion, I support that in some certain work situations, dressing casually should be encouraged. However, I don’t think it is applicable to all occupations or sectors of the economy.