Japanese Rockstars in 80's and early 90's

•  
  • 1929
  • 4
  • 1
I am following X Japan since 2015. X Japan is a Japanese metal band founded in 1982, sold millions and millions of albums and influeced the wave of "Visual Kei" in Japan.

When I first watched variety shows on Youtube they appeared in 80's and early 90's, I was very shocked culturally. They smoked during the variety shows without asking to be excused. It is shocking considering there is no smoking scenes in Korean TV now, even in dramas and movies. A member even said proudly in talk shows he used to destroy hotel property and studios just because he was excited or angry. He appeared in a famous music show the very next month he had been arrested for drunk driving, without any public apology. It's quite different from entertainment industry's atmosphere of these days.

How could it be so different? I tried to find the reasons.

At first, celebrity's behavior before the internet became popular is quite different from that of these days. The public had no way to criticize and express their angers back in the days. What if any celebs do the same behavior which X Japan did in 80's and 90's? They will be photographed and their footages will be uploaded on twitter and retweeted million times.

Secondly, rockers' violent behaviors seem to be treated as "swag" or something like that in 80's and early 90's. The members often talked about their breaking property and fighting proudly. It is certain they glamorized their violence as a trait of rockers and it worked.

Thirdly, 80's and early 90's were the bubble economy in Japan. Everything was abundant and people went on a binge. Japanese were too happy to find faults of celebs and criticize it.

I think these are why X Japan could be loved in 80's and 90's even though they were so spoiled all the time.