Red flag

•  
  • 142
  • 3
  • 3
  • Japanese 
Red flag

レディットを通していると、日本人に教えてあげたいくらい面白い表現を見つけてきて説明したいと思う。”red flag”という表現は、今いる状況がおかしくて、危険だと思った時に使う表現だ。言い換えれば、シチュエーションが誰かが危険な目に遭わせようとしている時に使う表現だ。”red flag”と共に、同じ意味が含まれている”alarm bells going off”を使われる場合もある。例えば

女性A: How did it go last night with that guy?
女性B: Not good at all. He tried to invite me back to his house at 12AM but I refused. That was the first red flag. Don’t think I’ll see him again.

女性A: ねーねー、昨日どうだった?
女性B: 全然ダメだったよ。夜中の12時なのに、うちに来ない?と誘われたんだけど、さすがに断った。危険な目に遭うのかもしれんよ。もう会わないと思う。

女性A: What are the red flags to you when first going out with someone?
女性B: Let’s see… I guess trying to get to meet me at his house would be a big one.

女性A: 初めて誰かと付き合った時に、気を付けないといけないことなんかある?
女性B: そうだね。待ち合わせ場所を彼の家にしようとしている男は危険かな。

女性A: I can’t believe what happened tonight. There were just so many red flags with that guy so I used an excuse and left early.
女性B: What did he do?
女性A: He put his hand on my leg and began sliding it upwards. That’s when the alarm bells started going off.

女性A: 今夜はもう信じられないくらい怖かった。あいつは危ない男で、デートを抜け出せなかったら、危険な目に遭っていたかもしれん。
女性B: えー?何があったの?
女性A: 私の脚の上に手を滑らせてきた。このままじゃまじで危険な目に遭うのよって思った。

男性A: Did you buy the car from that guy then?
男性B: Nah he was too dodgy so I called it off.
男性A: In what way?
男性B: He tried to get me to meet him at 12AM on some deserted road. That was a serious red flag right there man.

男性A: そうだ。あいつの車を買った?
男性B: いや、買わなかったよ。怪しすぎて、これはないわと思って会うのをやめた。
男性A: どんな風に怪しかったんだ?
男性B: 夜中の12時ぐらいに、車一台も通らない道で俺と待ち合わせようとしたんだよ。まじで危険な目に遭うぞ。

A: I’m going out tonight for the first time with this guy I met on Tinder but there’s just a few things about him that are raising red flags.
B: Like what?
A: Well he’s only got one picture and every time I try to call him, he never answers. Isn’t that just weird?

女性A: 今夜は初めてTinderで知り合った人とデートするんだけど、なんか色々考えて不安になってきた。
女性B: なんで不安なの?
女性A: だってさ、写真一枚しか載せてない。彼に電話しようとしても、出ないし。怪しくない?

危険な目に遭いませんように、気をつけてください!;)
Red flag

Here’s an interesting expression I came across while reading a Reddit post and I thought I’d explain it. A “red flag” is an expression used to indicate something is not right. In other words, it’s used to express a dangerous situation you might find yourself being lured into. You might also hear the expression “alarm bells going off” being used with it which has the same meaning. Here are some examples to give you an idea

A: How did it go last night with that guy?
B: Not good at all. He tried to invite me back to his house at 12AM but I refused. That was the first red flag. Don’t think I’ll see him again.

A: What are the red flags to you when first going out with someone?
B: Let’s see… I guess trying to get to meet me at his house would be a big one.

A: I can’t believe what happened tonight. There were just so many red flags with that guy so I used an excuse and left early.
B: What did he do?
A: He put his hand on my leg and began sliding it upwards. That’s when the alarm bells started going off.

A: Did you buy the car from that guy then?
B: Nah he was too dodgy so I called it off.
A: In what way?
A: He tried to get me to meet him at 12AM on some deserted road. That was a serious red flag right there man.

B: Like what?

Watch out for those red flags boys and girls ;)