Japanese education system

•  
  • 27
  • 1
  • 1
Japanese education system

I am going to talk about learning English education system in Japan.

First of all, this is an example of the Japanese Education system. Our compulsory education starts at age six after finishing preschool/ kinder garden to junior high school, usually until 15 years old. It totals for 9years.

In elementary school at age 6-12, we mainly study four main subjects such as Japanese, Math, Science, social study and other electives. No English.
Most importantly, Japanese education learns society and humanity in Elementary school. I will show some examples.

In junior high school at age 13-15, English becomes one of the main subjects in this stage, after graduate the junior high school, most people(about 98.8%) go to high school. And the students have to pass an entrance exam.
After that, the students decide what to do in the future either going to university/college or getting a job(about 54% of the students go to university)

page 2
It is an example of the time table.
As I mentioned before, Japanese school focus on developing skills of socialising at an early age in school, I will say manners before knowledge. So it has many school rules, typically, respecting teachers or senior, doing something that you can do yourself. The reason it would be the foundation for the children's future.
And this methodology impacts Japenese students character and learning style as well.

*(Morning assembly time: checking a schedule of the day,
Reading time: leading on a lecture, let students' get the concentrate.
Day duty: the student who is in charge of the responsibility of the day and everybody takes turns according to a rota.
Students clean the school themselves.

Page3
Next, move on to the cultural and historical context.
Japan uses only one language, which is Japanese.
Japan has been leant English for many years but has not improved, especially communication skill even they know it is their lack of skill.
One of the reasons are1) Japan does not have a lot of immigrations(98% is Japanse) so most of the population is Japanese and everybody knows in Japan. But the students believe the English language skills are key to future career prospects. They do not try to develop communicative skills because they know that the communicative skills do not necessary and influence their daily lives.
This is leading to a traditional teaching method which is Grammar translation method.
2) Japnese ELT heavily relied on the translation of foreign documents into Japanese in order to modernise Japan since the Meiji period about 200 years ago. Generally, the method means an unconscious technique for reading a foreign language in which the target language sentence is first translated word-by-word, and the resulting translation reordered to match Japanese word order as part of the process of reading comprehension. This long-standing cultural and philosophical idea that leaning and education are esteemed and are to be pursued seriously, and that moral and character development remains intimately related to education.

*Japnese English education before the world wae ll, Japan followed British English, so many British English transration still exist in Japanese, however, after the world world war ll Japan have subjugated by America, we tend to follow American English instead.

page4
This is the Japanese role of English.
First of all, Globalization would come first place.
English is imformation, transfer of the technology, media and modaern culture and developing medical and technological in developed countries. Increasing the number of world organisations, many of which are themselves implicated in globalised networks, means that English countries to be in demand globally.
For example, English functions as the working language of many international bodies and conferences, scientific and many other forms of academic and many other forms of academic publishing, international banking, tourism, law and human rights and internet communication.

Next, society and culture are most students in Japan have pressure about that.
There is a big reason that English is a requirement as entrance examinations for junior high school, high school and for colleges and universities test achievement in the language.
This is the same for adults when people have a job interview, many of the large companies examine job applicants' language ability and require that applicants sit for some standardised test such as the TOEFL or TOEIC.
To succeed in school is a crucial determinant of economic and social status in adult life in Japan.

Page 5
Typical Japanese learners type is very conservative and avoiding to say individual opinion. Japanese poeple is valued more highly than that of the individual. So Japanese people are good at corporate with others in teams.
Another thing that can be said most of them are being silent in the classroom. There are many reasons, the avoidance of difficulty, lacking of confidence in speaking and native English teachers, do not understand or how to respond. Embarrassment and Japnese students have been taught when they young, the taboo against expressing strong emotion and also sometimes being silence can be a harmony as a sense of sharing.
However, even Japanese students hardly saying opinions, they accept various senses of values which can be very supportive in a small society such as school or workplaces.

page6
The classroom setting is like this.
It is almost the same every school until university.
The students are got an individual desk, and locker, 30- 40 people each class and the teacher will come in the classroom, so the students stay in the same classroom except electives subjects.

Finally, I am going to talk about the Japanese government to try to improve English education in Japan intently in 2020.
First, the Japanese all school starts learning English in 3rd grade at age 8-9, which is four years earlier than usual.
Also, focusing on listening and speaking the same weight as teacher explanation time and it reflects to increase studying time. By graduating from high school, the students used to memorise 3000 English words, but in 2020, they will memorise 40000 words to 5000 English words.
And the Japanese monbusho also has decided to do a lecture in all English in junior high school.
These lots of reforms are influenced by Olympic and paralynpic in japan 2020.