corporation

•  
  • 110
  • 0
  • 0
According to Merriam-Webster, the word “responsibility” meaning something that you should do because it is morally right, legally required, etc. It seems that only human being has responsibility, so corporations merely do the law required?
However, a corporation is an artificial person and in this sense may have artificial responsibilities. Even though artificial responsibility has vague definition, it points out that corporation should both do morally and legally things.
Needless to say, a corporation executive, as the owner of the whole business, he definitely has responsibility for his corporation to make as much money as possible while conforming to the basic rules of the society, both those embodied in law and those embodied in ethical custom.
Alternatively, a corporation executive also has responsibility for his employees, to create a climate of fairness and equality, to offer advantages to some employees, or to play favorites.
Cause nothing could be away from the social, corporation must depend on some respects of the social in a certain degree. So if a corporation obsessed with profit no matter how unethical it is to people, no matter how harmful it is to the social, the corporation will be despised by his customers sooner or later. Then the corporation is short-lived. Instead, if a corporation does ethically responsible things, such as disposing of waste properly and considering the impact of job creation or deletion on local, regional and national economies, the corporation will be respected by his customers, and get more trust from customers and stakeholders. Eventually, the corporation ends up with more profit and support.
Admittedly, a business must remain profitable in order to survive, but surviving is nowhere enough to greedy entrepreneur. Promoting the well-being of the societies and environments in which the corporation operates, just the way to strong own corporation.