You're welcome

•  
  • 340
  • 4
  • 2
You're welcome

Today I was thinking about the phrase "you're welcome"
It's because some time ago, I read something on the internet written by a British guy.
He said that he had to speak with many Americans over the phone at his work, and sometimes when he thanked them, they would say "yeah" or "uh-huh"
He said it felt really rude. Like they should just say "you're welcome"

Then I started thinking... When people thank me, what do I say?
I realized that I myself said "uh-huh" or "yeah" many times, and probably a lot of people did the same to me, but I never thought it was rude.

I think it's because saying "you're welcome" might sound slightly snooty.
It's like saying "yeah that's right you should be thanking me, so I'll accept your thanks". That sort of feeling, but like everything else it depends on the context.
At the same time, I don't necessarily mean that it's rude to say "you're welcome" in America.
But maybe there is a slight avoidance to say "you're welcome" and so we tend to say things like "No problem" or "It's no trouble". Or just say "yeah" because it's shorter.
If somebody thanked you and you didn't say anything, it would be rude. But if you say "yeah" then at least you are acknowledging them.

Anyways, this was just something I was randomly thinking of today, and I just wanted to get some opinions on this.
When someone thanks you, what do you say?